Current Skincare

by - 5:45 PM

It has been almost 3 years since I stopped seeing my dermatologist. The main reason is that I no longer live near Kemanggisan anymore, and the second was that the consultation fee skyrocketed AND what was more confusing was, the clinic applied the same price to do online consultation (it's been 2 years I've been doing it like a fool). I mean, the experience itself was distinct. What the doctor sees through my front camera under the dim-lit bedroom is much more different than seeing my skin face directly, within 10cm, under the dazzling light from her table lamp. Even though she comforted me by saying that I don't have to do a direct visit because my skin was doing well, still ... And don't get me started on how the last time I got to see her was at 9 P.M on weekdays (!!), I almost fell asleep at that time.

Don't get me wrong, by far she is the best dermatologist I've met; the prescription she made never fails, and I considered seeing her again in the future. It was a never ending debate in social media whether a person should go see a dermatologist or do a few step skincare at home instead. I mean, when you have the money why don't you go for both? 😁

To be honest, it is important to get a personalized treatment/ medication by the dermatologist *occasionally* because they knew exactly what happens with your skin. The prescription made is more potent, the device they equipped with is advanced, therefore it could target your skin problem deeper and fix it effectively. However, it comes with some consequences. Once the skin is familiar with the prescription, skincare bought at drug store would no longer give a major difference to the skin anymore.
What I learnt about seeing the dermatologist, is to always start in small doses. When I was given the (prescribed) retinol cream, I was told to use it 3 times a week for a solid month, and if my skin did not show any significant reaction, I could continue to wear it daily. 

It was her who told me that I 've got acne prone skin. All this time I thought I had oily/combination skin 😖. She suggested that I use retinol and stick to SPF 30 sunscreen. Until recently I figured out that I can't use any oil on my face (and scalp) since my skin itself already produces a lot of sebum. And for a person over 30, I realize I need moisturizer more than I think I need. I thought that choosing the right skincare was the art to get to know more about myself. Apparently my current concerns are redness, mascne, and aging, so here is my curated skincare once I stopped using the prescribed cream:


From left to right, they are:
1. Studio Tropik Probiome Skin Tonic
Nobody talks about it, but I am fixated on this essence. I always thought I don't need a toner / essence under the serum, but well I was wrong the whole time. At first I was curious about Laneige Cream Skin Refiner but I dug deeper to find the cheaper alternative and (finally) somebody on the internet said that this skin tonic gave the same result, even better for oily-combination skin, texture-wise. Although it is marketed for dry skin, my acne prone skin DRANK this. I've tried the Herbitus one but I guess my skin loves this way more. It makes my skin plump and hydrates without giving the heavy or sticky finish, especially when I sleep with AC on.

2. Skin1004 Centella Ampoule
This was my second bottle. To be honest I kinda forget that I've tried this one. I know people were over it, and so was I 😂. Lately my skin has become overly sensitive, so I tried to recall what skincare I usually use during those dark times. Even though some people on reels said that this product is a scam, it works wonders for me. I was skeptical whenever people review a product just based on the ingredients listed on the packaging, unless they are an expert. The actual thing is how the product is formulated, so it goes beyond on the ingredient list. 
It only takes 10 minutes for this ampoule to calm the redness that has been caused by rinsing off himalayan charcoal mask. Would I replace it once it emptied? probably. Actually I got other soothing serums on my list: Anua Heartleaf Serum and Hayejin Blessing of Sprout Enriched Serum. Some said heartleaf is the new centela. They got thicker consistency so I was a little bit hesitant to purchase them.

3. The Bath Box Brassica Serum
Been using this before the pandemic era. Already mentioned in my previous post, by far it is a perfect combination for Avoskin Retinol Ampoule. The only drawback of this product is the latest packaging, which is quite sophisticated and somehow isn't built for travel friendly. How on earth I brought it along with me every time I go back home with a thick glass bottle like that, eh?

4. Avoskin Retinol Ampoule
I lost count on how many bottle I already finished. I am an experienced retinol user, but that does not mean that changing the existing retinol product is easy. Well, apparently I have been looking for more potent product since I stopped using the prescribed cream. Sometime I find Bhumi HPR retinol serum is quite interesting 😏 I felt like I should step up the retinol game eventually. I crossed off any retinol serum containing oil on my wish list since this acne prone skin refuses anything heavy.
Been blabbering about avoskin in this post too. Little fun fact, in my freshman year the lecturer was stunned when she knew my actual age 😂😂 Oh that feeling to be the only millennial in the room 😝. Is it because of this retinol ampoule? or is it because of the potent retinol cream from the clinic? or maybe both? 💫

5. Beauty of Joseon Revive Eye Serum
The first ever eye serum I have purchased. Formulated with ginseng and retinal, it helps the discoloration of my eyelid and under eye pigmentation. In addition, it could tackle puffiness when I pull an all-nighter. I know some said we don't really need eye serum, and just use moisturizer instead. Yet I've read somewhere that eye serum is formulated smaller in size so it could penetrate deeper to the delicate skin around the eye area. And the second reason is sometimes moisturizer irritates the skin around the eye area and if you are not careful enough, it could get you milia. But hey, you do you 😉

6. Erha PSO Sunscreen SPF30 PA++
I have been using it for around ten years and I never had any complaint about this. I have tried the local SPF30, but this one seemed to work better on my skin. And what I mean by that is that it did not cause break out at all. The only drawback is I had to reapply it at noon or whenever I needed to. My dermatologist emphasized that my skin could not take more than SPF30 and I learned that the hard way. After all this time I just played it safe 😓. Currently I have been curious to try Labore SPF45 PA+++ or Krave Beauty Beet The Sun SPF 40 PA+++, maybe next time.

7. Krave Beauty Kale-lalu-yAHA
For someone who barely got peeling treatment once a year, I consider having a chemical exfoliator on the staple. I've been struggling with mascne—acne that comes out once in a while before period or whenever I put the mask on. Have you seen the tiny, soft tiny horns called sebaceous filament formed on your chin? It could clear up within minutes using this! I've been very picky when it comes to exfoliation, but this one is an exception. I've done my research and found out that glycolic acid works best for acne prone skin. It gives a tingly sensation, yet gentle enough to make a major difference to the skin. The downside? I don't know, I think the packaging is a little bit too simple compared to the actual price. This is probably the most expensive skincare I had ever purchased. But since the packaging is lightweight and serves the purpose effectively, and the most important part is how good the liquid itself is to my skin. Despite the price, it took me forever to finish this product 😂 I might look for the cheaper alternative though, and my list regarding gentle exfoliation would be From This Island Java Sugarcane AHA Exfoliating Solution.


8. TBS Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask
I've been in a love-hate relationship with this mask. Like the name said, it could remove impurities and brighten my skin in an instant, sucking up all the excess oil. But once dried, I was struggling to rinse it off. I have tried to rinse it with lukewarm water for some time but it left my face red. What makes me think twice to say goodbye to this is that the purifying tagline is no joke. I am having a hard time finding the alternative to this product.

9. Beauty of Joseon Red Bean Refreshing Pore Mask
Mask is the only safe area that I could explore, so I was kinda excited to try this out due to the cute packaging 😜 the kaolin is well known to deep cleansing the pore. Moreover, it is way easier to rinse off than the TBS Charcoal mask. The cooling sensation hits in a pleasant way once I apply it to the skin. At first I expected it would go dry and give off a tight finish like any other clay mask, but I was wrong. It comes with a handy spatula for a more hygienic application of the mask. Even though it did the job, still, it did not deliver the same result like TBS Charcoal Mask did.

I almost forgot to mention that I use Erha 2 facial wash or The Bath Box Goats Don't Lie. In my case, it is mandatory to have TBB GDL around since it calms the rash all over my body. It was also suggested by the doctor to heal my urticaria due to allergy, once I told her that antibacterial soap BURNT my skin. 
Anyway it's been a roller coaster to figure out what works and what not for me; there are some products that I could not finish and ended up giving it to my friend or slathered it on my neck and legs instead 😂😂 Kinda challenging for me to choose the right exfoliating toner and to find the substitute for brassica. So it is fairly acceptable that it took me a long time to try out other brands because I was afraid that I would waste another dime on something that did not work.

At night I don't wear it all at once, sometime it could be just a combination of 1-2-4-6 to overcome the mascne, 1-4-6 or 4-3-6 if my skin is doing just fine, and twice a week I used 7-1. During the day I only put on Erha PSO sunscreen.
For the face wash and sunscreen, I decided not to replace them in the near future even though it is rather difficult to find it available at the store recently. Currently I look for the right skin care for my neck (it ages awfully!) and moisturizer. I've been torn between Labore Revive Cream, Pumpkin Barrier Pudding or Fresh Skin Barrier Cream by Studio Tropik, or From This Island Papua Red Fruit Plumping Cream. Have you guys tried one?

You May Also Like

0 comments