HPV Vaccine

by - 2:48 PM

Months before the wedding I decided to get HPV Vaccine as part of the pre marital checklist. If you are about to married or simply sexually active—but make sure you got to have PAP Smear first, I recommend you to get vaccinated since this is the only vaccine that can prevent most cases of cervical cancer. Therefore I decided to go to YPK Mandiri Menteng to see dr. Yusfa (got his name after a mini 'research' on Google).

However, I didn't get the memo that I should come hours early before his actual schedule. I finally could see him at 13.30—I had to wait in line from 08.00 😷. He offered me two different type of vaccine, named Gardasil and Cervarix. While Cervarix protects you against only 2 strains of HPV 16 and 18, Gardasil provides more protection against strains 6 and 11 as well, which cause most cases of genital warts. Indeed I went for Gardasil. He explained to me that HPV vaccine is given in a 3-dose schedule (0, 2, 6 month). He told me that I should not be late for the second schedule, even though one week early / late is still allowed.

Compared to my friend who has been told by her doctor that the 3 dose schedule is strict, dr. Yusfa said that it is okay if I get my first sexual intercourse (or pregnant!) during the second interval. And if I’m pregnant during that period, I am allowed to get my third shot only after I gave birth. Moreover, I could clarify my findings (again, on internet 😏) saying that the vaccine only effective for people at younger age (below 26) is totally wrong (I was 26 years xx months old at that time). He added that just a few days ago 50ish year old woman got vaccinated by him.

When I asked what caused cervical cancer, he answered that it is our filthy hand which actually transmit the virus. You could get the virus from the handle of the public toilet’s door, so you should avoid touching your crotch area bare hands and wash your hands with soap water often. The one with underline is my own conclusion btw 😌. The last but not least, he gave me some check list for pre-marital checkup like Rubella and Tokso—forgot the details tho 🙈. It was nice to see the doctor in person since he’s being informative and helpful during the session. Somehow the shot was given on my butt instead of my arm, since mostly it would be painful and swelling on the arm.


this card is stamped in each visit


Anyway, each visit costs me about Rp 1.300.000,- in total (note that this happen in 2018) and you could get a cheaper deal for one package if you purchase it in February to celebrate Cancer Month. 

You May Also Like

0 comments